6 Ways To Get The Most Out Of Online Therapy
Updated: May 15
If you're approaching your first online session, there are 6 very simple things you can do to facilitate the process and to make sure you get the most out of it.
1. It’s very important you feel that you have privacy so you are free to talk knowing you won’t be overheard. Pick a space where you can close the door and you can ask people to respect your privacy by not interrupting you.
2. Give yourself a few minutes to prepare for the session. Find somewhere you’re comfortable sitting for fifty minutes. It’s best to face the screen much as you would if you were sitting opposite me in person and so I can see your head and shoulders.
3. It helps if your computer is placed on something stable so it doesn’t jiggle around.
4. Try and make sure you already have everything you need to hand. If you want a glass of water or think you might need tissues, have them beside you.
5. If you can, turn off all other programs and notifications on your computer as this can interfere with the session. Also turn off your mobile. This is your time to really focus on yourself and text messages and calls coming through can be distracting.
6. As you are in your own space, it’s a good opportunity to have a pen and paper handy in case you want to jot something down you’d particularly like to remember after the session.
All of these things only take a few moments and in my experience greatly help you have a much better online experience. Now you’re good to go.